Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Dog

Several months ago, in the house diagonal to ours, our neighbours bought home a new puppy. Whenever the family went out at night, the dog would bark.... for hours on end. People in our neighbourhood told them about the noise their dog made when they left it alone, but they claimed there was nothing they could do about it.
And so, we lived our lives with the occasional sleepless night, praying that the dog would one day shut the fuck up.
The morning after a particularly noisy night- thanks to the dog- we woke to find that their house had been knocked down. Our neighbours and their dog had mysteriously disappeared out of our lives. I don’t know how we failed to hear the demolition process... but it certainly was less noisy than the barking dog.
I only tell you this story because the barking dog is back. It’s back, despite the fact that the house has been nothing more than a patch of grass for months now. Perhaps it’s a ghost dog, or belongs to another one of our neighbours. The later is more likely, but the idea of a ghost dog is more exciting. Not that something that exciting would ever happen around here.
Also, I watched Keeping Mum the other day because a friend of mine told me that she watched it on Halloween. She watched it in place of a horror movie, because she had seen it before and found it scary. I had heard that it was a comedy, so the other day I rented it to clear up whether or not it would make a good Halloween horror movie. Unless there’s just something wrong with my sense of humour, it was indeed a comedy. The big sticker on the front of the DVD cover that says COMEDY, also suggests that there’s a slight possibility of it being designed to make you laugh and not to horrify you.
Now, if you haven’t seen Keeping Mum then you won’t know what happens to their neighbour’s dog, who keeps them up with its barking, and making a connection between the film and my life will have made no sense at all.

I should warn you that I’m seeing High School Musical 3 this afternoon.... just in case I don’t survive and you never hear from me again.

1 comment:

Gelati Gecko said...

"Oh, just Mr Brown's dog.....and, Mr Brown."