Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Girls: A Generalisation

I was just on Facebook and came across some group called "50 things boys don't know about girls," it made me laugh because I felt sorry for any boy who reads the page and believes every point is true for all girls. Although it was partly inaccurate and made enormous generalisations, it was entertaining enough to read until the end. So, I thought I would write up one from my own experience and that of my friends.


Dear boys,


1. Girls tend to have a fantasy view on love and spend their time looking for Prince Charming, but in the end reality is so much better, because it's real. Girls discover this when they meet someone and all that someone does is smile at them, but that makes their world complete.


2. Girl always like to be told they're pretty. Even if it's their sister telling them or just a friend. If you tell a girl they look nice they won't assume you have a crush on them, they'll just feel good about themselves.


3. A girl never thinks a boy likes them until they say "I like you" until then, it's just mind games and confusion.


4. Girls analyse every little thing the boy they like does. If a boy signs off MSN with xx every time they talk and then one day signs of with xxx, the girl will be very excited and think about it constantly until the next time they talk.


5. Girls never mind if you spontaneously take their hand. Even if you're just friends, it's always nice.


6. Sometimes a girl is quiet because all she's thinking is "I can't believe I'm sitting next to him! This is fantastic" but she can't exactly say that, so instead she says nothing.


7. If a girl is talkative online and with her friends, but not when you're around,then she likes you, and can't get her thoughts together quick enough when you're around. Stringing a sentence together can be hard when you want it to be perfect, so often it's easier just not to say anything. Usually all they want to do is sit some place quietly and talk to you, but when it comes around to it it's surprisingly hard.


8. Girls like to be 100% certain that the boy they like likes them back before they confess their feelings. This is because friendships can be destroyed if it isn't dealt with properly. If a boy doesn't have a crush on a girl, the girl would want the conversation to go like this: "I like you" followed by the boy saying something along the lines of "I thought we were just friends? I mean, I really like you, but I didn't think we were any more than just friends. Can we still be friends forever?" but she's scared it will go like this: "I like you" responded to with "oh….. ok….. um….. I have to go now, I'm late for… this thing." Because that's pretty much the end of everything. They would rather be friends forever, than attempt to be more than friends and loose everything.


9. Girls think they're being exceptionally obvious and giving away their feelings pretty clearly. I haven't figured out if this actually comes across like we think it does, maybe it does.


10. Girls link the things boys say back to their own relationship. For example: my friend likes a boy who joined a Facebook group called "I used to like a girl and now I hope she dies in a hole" now my friend is somewhat worried that he wants HER to go die in a hole.


11. Girl like it when you remember facts about them. "I got you this blue flower, because I know blue is your favourite colour" or "this (whatever) reminded me of you, I hope you like it" makes girls all the more happy because it's more personal than an expensive golden ring that could be given to any girl.


12. Money doesn't matter.

No comments: