Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentines Day- Part 3

Wednesday evening, chatting away for five hours on the phone. Typical night for Samantha Splendid. The darkly lit library in which Wally Clever sat, calling his girlfriend over and over again (only to be rudely answered with the droning noise of her engagement tone), was large yet cosy, had cost millions of dollars to build along with the pool and yet was barely used.
He slammed the phone down. Samantha was never really there, Wally always felt that he was just another story she could tell her ever gossiping friends. How could he book a table at her favourite restaurant for Sunday, if he didn't even know whether she could make it. That would be something to tell her friends "my boyfriend did have something special organised for Valentines Day, but I was too busy talking to you so (not knowing if I could make it), he didn't organise it."

Wally shook his head, trying to get his negative thoughts of Samantha out, she was after all, the prettiest and most popular girl in school. He should have counted himself lucky.
Having finished all his homework, studied for the math test he didn't have until next Tuesday, tutored his neighbours son and practiced the violin, Wally had dedicated the final hour before bed to 'free time', during which he had planned to call Samantha and reserve a seat at Hamingtons.
Now he called his best friend instead.
Juniper: hello?
Wally: hey June, it's Wally.
Juniper: hey! So, can Samantha go for dinner on Sunday?
Wally: I don't know, she won't answer my calls.
Juniper: Oh, don't worry about it. I'm sure she'll be free. Book a table anyway... if she can't go I'll go with you.
Wally: thanks. I think I will just go and book it. Don't you have a date with that Nicholas guy that night though?
Juniper: I doubt it.
Wally: didn't you ask him?
Juniper: I gave him a note yesterday in English, but today in class nothing really happened..... except he kind of frowned at me when I smiled at him.
Wally: oh.
Juniper: it's ok. Maybe he's just shy?
Wally: um... yeah. Maybe. Or maybe he's a... blind idiot? I can't think of any other reason he wouldn't want to go out with you.
Juniper: or maybe he just doesn't like me...... I'll talk to him about the note tomorrow.
Wally: ok. I wish you the best of luck Juni.
Juniper: Thanks, I'll need it. I have to go finish my homework, so I'll see you tomorrow.
Wally: ok, see you. Oh, and thanks again for saying you'd go to Hamingtons with me.... but I do hope everything turns out the way we want it to.
Juniper: me too. I'm sure it will. For you anyway. See you tomorrow Wally.
Wally: bye June.

He put down the phone and didn't hesitate to pick it up again. He pressed Samantha's numbers down quickly and instinctively. No answer. He went to bed.

No comments: